Monday, July 23, 2007

Recommendations


I've been doing a whole fat lot of none of the stuff I should be doing for awhile. I have not gotten a whole hell of a lot done on my house. I need to find a second job, or a really intensely alluring new full time one that is good enough to pull me away from the job I have now. I need to stop being such a stuck up bitch and just let some poor schmuck get to know me already dammit. I really need to clean my car and have a tag sale.

Instead I have been reading and going to the movies, and watching TV. Some movies I have seen recently that I really enjoyed were Oceans 13, which was really inside and cliquey, but I loved it. It made me laugh. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Knocked Up. It was a very sweet movie. I watch Law & Order in every incarnation like I am getting paid for it, and seriously have doubts about the human race for things like Flavor of Love, Rock of Love, and Charm School, all of which I cannot watch all the way through. I love Hells’ Kitchen, but not sure why, Gordon Ramsay seems to be a nightmare to work for, not sure how much of a prize it is to win. I also really love what I seriously politically incorrectly call the midget show, about the Roloff family. They have nice kids. And I of course watch Court TV. Not sure who is more of a freak, Phil Spector or Nancy Grace.

Borders is my vice. I go there at LEAST once a week. They have two for the price of three books. I read all the best sellers on the freebie tip while I suck back Javaculas. I plan my fantasy vacations in the travel section. I am going to try to take myself to wine country later this year, and I am getting a passport so I can become the gypsy I believe myself to be. I also like to check out the hotties in the History and technical sections. Hey if they are in a bookstore they can probably read, literacy is hot. I also listen to music, and sing, and mutter loving social things like "damn kids" when there is no place to sit or they are taking in stage whispers about their drama laden little lives.

I have bought many books including Pretty Little Mistakes. It is a nice idea, but I found it trite, and juvenile. What I loved, against my will were three books by Emily Giffin. These are books I would generally not pick up, but the title of Baby Proof caught my eye. I loved it. It was not an idiotic bodice ripper at all. What I enjoyed is that these were books with fully developed female characters who were flawed, and sometimes ugly human beings. I am glad I picked them up, and will eagerly try the next book she comes out with. Of course, Mickorific as I am, I love Angela’s Ashes and ‘Tis, and picked up Teacher Man when I saw it in the two for three pile. I also snagged a book that truly intrigued me called Spook. Today I cheated and read the beginning and the end of Deathly Hollows, and actually bought, God is Not Great.

Right now I have to get back to reading all my back issues of Vanity Fair. Graydon Carter says all the evil crap I think about our Idiot in Chief.

No comments: